Monday, August 08, 2005

Rest in Peace, Peter Jennings


ABC News announced that Peter Jennings, anchor of World News Tonight with Peter Jennings, died of lung cancer last night in New York. He was 67 years old.

I rarely write about celebrities or the deaths of notable people, but I have to say, I was saddened by this news of his untimely passing. Even though we all probably knew it was coming when he announced his battle with cancer back in April, I think many of us hoped against hope that he'd be one of the rare few who would fight it and win.

Jennings had a level of grace and class that neither of his competitors--NBC's Tom Brokaw or CBS' Dan Rather--ever had. He was not only a professional, but a human being. Watching Jennings was comforting, even when the news was bad.

I can almost hear Jennings now...

"Good evening. We begin tonight at the Gates of Heaven. Behind me, Saint Peter holding the Book of Life and a chorus of angels proclaiming 'Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.' I've come to this place to meet with those who precede me and to embark on the next phase in my life journey...."

Thank you for making the news worth listening to and watching. Thank you for reporting the events of our nation and our world in credible, real, human terms. Thank you for making history as history was made.

Rest in peace, Peter Jennings.

No comments: