Thursday, January 18, 2007

Creating Concerns

There's a discussion going on over the Washington Post today about which might be the greater impediment in a potential Hillary Rodham Clinton - Barack Obama contest: her gender or his race. One of the commenters to the column said--and quite rightly, I think--"How about the media stops harping on it? The media and the TV pundits are the only ones that really care. One of the most disgusting and insulting questions posed by the media, as of late, are the 'Is America Ready?' nonsense."

I say, I have to agree. The media is posing a question, like it does so often on so many issues, that is insulting to the intelligence of the American voter. It also creates concerns where few to none likely exist.

As a registered, voting American, I'm sick and tired of this kind of punditry and sound biting. If Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton end up on the ballot for the Democratic ticket, I'll evaluate each of them the same way I'd evaluate John McCain and Mitt Romney. The fact that Barack is black, Hillary is a woman, McCain is a war vet, and Romney is a Mormon have absolutely no bearing on my choice. What I want to know is what will each of them do about spending and taxes, health care, education, abortion, the war in Iraq, homeland security, and human rights. The candidate who is most qualified will get my vote.

In the meantime, stop creating concerns where there should be none. Yes, there's still racism and sexism in this country. Yes, there are folks who are pro-war and anti-abortion. Yes, we're a pluralist society religiously. No, I won't vote for someone who makes racist comments like "African Americans should just get over the whole slavery thing" or who harass women or treat them like sex objects like William Donald Schaefer. But, bottom line, I'm not interested in making race, gender, religion, or patriotism the benchmark for who should be president. The American people shouldn't either. And neither should the media.

2 comments:

Gunfighter said...

"The fact that Barack is black, Hillary is a woman, McCain is a war vet, and Romney is a Mormon have absolutely no bearing on my choice"

Thats good, Janet... but I think it makes you fairly rare.

Janet Kincaid said...

GF: How sad is that, huh?