Monday, February 05, 2007

Happiness Is...

Crumpets and bacon…

Crumpets and leftover, thick-sliced, hickory-smoked bacon for breakfast. Bacon aside, if you haven’t ever had crumpets, you’re missing out on a culinary delight. Think English muffin, only way better. Crumpets are light, airy, and make the nooks and crannies in English muffins look like sink holes in comparison.

And more bacon…

Speaking of bacon, the personal assistant dog accompanying his be-wheelchaired owner (I just made that up. Be-wheelchaired. Like bedecked, only in a moving chair. Or bewildered, but not. And why isn’t it bewhelmed, as opposed to overwhelmed. On the other hand, overkill is better than bekilled, I suppose…) And again, I stray… What was I saying? Oh, yeah. Personal assistant dog. Man in motorized wheelchair. So, I think, in the elevator up to the main platform for this morning’s train, said dog could smell said bacon. I think said man was not thrilled as it riled up said dog turning the hound into a useless lout and a slobbering, stick-my-big-wet-Labrador-nose-in-your-crotch sort of beast. Sorry be-wheelchaired man.

Compliments from bosses…

Happiness is also arriving at work this morning and finding a handwritten note from my supervisor that read, in part, “At the end of your first week w/us, pls know that I am happy you are here & pleased with your work.” I’m framing that puppy. I haven’t had a compliment that nice in a job in a long time. It’s the little things like that that make getting up in the morning so worthwhile. It’s the little things like that that make me want to do my job well. Thank you, Supervisor Lady.

Compliments from Mom…

And speaking of praise, happiness is also an e-mail from your mom telling you how much she appreciates the work you put into editing your father’s résumé. I guess old Pops had a meeting with some company the other day and the VP of HR told him his résumé was one of the best he’d ever read, in terms of presentation of content, and one of the nicest he’d ever seen, in terms of formatting. Cool.

Ice cold Dr. Pepper…

Even on a cold winter’s day, nothing beats a really cold Dr. Pepper. Mmmmm. The elixir of the gods. Now why can’t 7-11 come out with a Dr. Pepper Slurpee?

But wait… There’s more bacon…

Finally, happiness is a good BLT. That was last night’s dinner. Yummy! Nothing better than good bacon, red tomatoes, and crisp lettuce on toast with mayo. Ah, the simple pleasures in life!



P.S. I met Rosa Klebb today. Her real name is Martina (okay, really that’s not her real name. I’m protecting the innocent here. But her name does begin with an ‘M’ and ends with an ‘a.’) And since I now know her name, there will be no more Rosa Klebb sighting reports here. Time to find a new character! Maybe the bald guy who reads the paper in the loo… Hm.

No comments: