We all play this game. Imagine what we would do if we won the lottery. I play this game every once in a while just to keep my hand in it (the imagining part, that is. Not necessarily the buying a ticket part.)
If I won the lottery today, here's what I'd do in exactly this order:
1. Pay off my student loans and all of my debt.
2. Place a percentage in trust for each of my siblings.
3. Buy my parents a fully finished house.
4. Make an offer to the current owners on my friend Lea's former house in Inverness, California.
5. Establish a scholarship program in the Religious Studies Department at George Mason University and fund the development of a Religion in America center at the Graduate Theological Union.
6. Quit my awful job and take a low paying job doing whatever I want or enjoy or that would give back to society.
7. Establish a foundation and make grants to non-profits that focus on environmental, preservation, literacy, women's empowerment, and human rights issues.
8. Place the remainder of the money in stocks and high yield bonds and live off the earnings and interest.
If you won the lottery today, what would you do with the money?