Sunday, May 28, 2006

Astonishing

Isn't it astonishing how some people can make your life a living hell and all because they have nothing better to do with their time than set up Google searches, find your blog, and then use your words in a way that leaves you outraged?

I know a number of folks in the blogosphere who started a blog and then set up a second blog anonymously because they wanted to recapture the freedom to write about the good, the bad, and the ugly without letting a subset of society--usually their families--know what they're thinking, feeling, experiencing.

Granted, blogs are in the public domain, so it's kind of hard to regulate who gets to read your blog and who doesn't. But I wish blogs were a little more like Evite. You only get to come to the party if you've been invited and you RSVP.

I sort of liked this blogging thing when just my friends, the Scary Feminists from Hell, knew about it. It was a way for us to stay in touch with each other through a new medium.

Then I was discovered by DC Blogs, which is fine, because that's a list of everyone in D.C. who blogs. I'm someone in D.C. and I blog.

Then I started reading other people's blogs and the more you read and comment, the more other bloggers find you. The world opens up and you meet a lot of fascinating people who are pretty good writers and interesting to read.

I didn't mind when my immediate family learned about my blog, particularly when I spent time writing about someone in our family who means a lot to me and who recently passed away.

Beyond that, though, I wish my blog was by invitation only, because frankly, there are some people out there who I wish wouldn't read my blog. Gossips, busybodies, naysayers, and hypocrites are not welcome here. If you're any of these, please find something else to read because you're wasting your time here.

Any questions? If so, call me. My number hasn't changed.

Photo courtesy of Jason Adler.

6 comments:

Elaine Denning said...

You could change your settings so that you can view all comments and decide whether or not you want to publish them? It's not ideal, but it's a start.
By the way - I hope you don't mind me being here!

Elaine Denning said...

Oh! You have! Whoops...!

sylvia/ticklethepear said...

Ah, the beauty of LiveJournal - you can "lock" your posts.

Janet Kincaid said...

MU: The written comments aren't the problem. Those are at least honest and open. No, it's the background noise I hear through the grapevine that astonishes me. It's the use of my blog as a means of gathering intel by people who are supposed to care about you more than the average stranger that astonishes me. As for you, you're welcome here anytime.

TtP: Tell me more about this. If someone wants to read your blog, do they have to be invited? Email me and explain the mysteries to me... I'm looking for a metaphorical secret handshake and LJ might be my solution...

Mary Ellen said...

I bookmarked my blog on my dad's computer a few weeks ago. I don't know that he or my mom will be regular readers, but now I think twice about everything family or family-conflict related that I post. Blech.

verniciousknids said...

Your noted problems are the reason I don't publish names of myself or anyone I know on my blog. I also don't post pics of me or anyone I know. There are too many people out there spoiling it for others IMHO.