Tuesday, May 30, 2006

To Kill a Mockingbird

This coming Saturday is the next gathering of the Great Women's Dinner Group. I wrote about them some months back in a blathering, blah, blah, blog that I won't find the link for because I don't want to bore you again. Suffice it to say, this is the group of gals I get together with every six to eight weeks. We make a good meal--usually a potluck with a theme--and we read a book and discuss. We're all connected to one another through mutual acquaintance via one job or another.

We usually meet at Carolyn's in Alexandria, but this time we're at my place. The potluck theme is: picnic food. I'm frying up a mess of chicken and making homemade potato salad. We've got desserts and salads coming from others to accompany the chicken. I'm either doing fried chicken ala Cook's Country (an off-shoot of Cook's Illustrated) or I'm going down to the neighborhood Popeye's and snagging a 25 piece. It all depends on how up to frying chicken I'm feeling.

This round's read is To Kill a Mockingbird, the one-time classic by Harper Lee, friend and confidant of the late Truman Capote. An excellent piece of literature about social injustice as seen through the eyes of a child. If you haven't read it, you must.

Other books I would recommend along the same theme are Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor and The Cay by Theodore Taylor.

Illustration courtesy of http://f.chtah.com/i/18/217574823/fffsBbqPicnics.gif

2 comments:

Elaine Denning said...

That's a great book Leigh - I've read it a few times now.
Fried Chicken - yum. Can I come!

Janet Kincaid said...

I'm still going back and forth on whether to fry or buy...

Adriana and Miss U, we'd love to have you both!