Saturday, February 03, 2007

Bacon

Damn the person who decided it would be a good idea to cut bacon thicker than what you normally would!

Seriously, where have I been all these years, eating thin sliced bacon?! Why didn't someone tell me about thick sliced bacon?

And then, this evening, my friend, Dr Lala, shows up from France and brings me bacon that has been cut into small pieces suitable for frying up one serving at a time. This way, I don't have to buy a whole slab of bacon and cut it up. I can just pull out one of these little packets, open it up, toss it in a pan, fry it up, and voile, bacon bits! How divine!

My mother says, when you go to fancy restaurants, instead of bringing out a plate of crusty bread and EVOO she wishes they would bring out the bread and a plate of bacon drippings. Having recently dipped a lovely sourdough from Best Buns into bacon drippings, I can tell you, she's on to something. (P.S. Happy Birthday, Mom!)

I tried to find a picture of bacon that was more than just slabs of meat on a plate. In the midst of my Google search, I found this: I Heart Bacon. An entire blog dedicated to BACON!

Sigh.

Pork fat rules.

Photo copyright: I Heart Bacon.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the Stuff! Bacon on a bagel with cream cheese...mmmmm! Bacon on anything is great! I have to agree with you!

Sister Mary Lisa said...

You made me laugh with your last line: Pork fat rules.

Gunfighter said...

Bacon is the food of the gods.

Trust me on this.

GF

Swizzies said...

Little packets of lardons are one of my favorite things. I have them on hand now at all times, like bread or tomatoes. It's amazing the varieties they are available in in France - different shapes, different types of bacon, etc. A whole shelf full!

Mary Ellen said...

My friend Chester is fond of saying, "A day without pork is like a day without sunshine." He brought bacon wrapped hot dogs to my last BBQ. Mmmmm.

Janet Kincaid said...

Kimberly: Bacon on anything is yum!

SML: Pork fat rules! I want that on a t-shirt.

GF: I trust you on this one, totally!

Swizzies: Why can't the Americans come up with something that smart? They'd probably sell even more bacon than they currently are.

ME: Bacon-encased anything is Mmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Lardons! Why don't they make them here? I've looked for them but so far no luck. I tried explaining to someone recently the genius behind having pre-cut thick bacon and they just didn't get it. So now I'm going to have to buy thick slices of bacon and cut it up into small pieces and keep a big bag in the freezer my own damn self. Ugh.

Janet Kincaid said...

Adriana: Seriously, huh? I thought the same thing when Dr Lala handed them to me the other night. Geez. Think of the time you could save, not having to slice the bacon yourself. Not to mention the fact that you reduce the risk of cutting yourself toward the end of your bacon cubing.

Why hasn't anyone picked up on this here? I'm seriously thinking I'm going to take an empty package around the Whole Foods, Wegmans, Balducci's, and Dean & DeLuca and see if they can't acquire these as a product in their respective stores.

Honest said...

Bacon, Bacon, Bacon wow I haven't had any in a while. Now I'm hungry for a bacon pizza.